This Privacy & Cookies Policy explains what information we collect from your YouView device and what we do with this information. It also explains how you can contact us if you have any questions or concerns, and your rights in respect of the information we collect.
This Privacy & Cookies Policy relates only to information collected from your YouView device. More information about how YouView processes Personal Data (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998) is contained in our Data Promise and on our website. The latest versions of these documents are available on our website at http://www.youview.com/.
1. WHO WE ARE
2. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND WHY?
2.1 We and our service and content providers may collect the following information related to your YouView device and your use of the YouView Service:
- Device Settings and Preferences (including, but without limitation, audio settings, subtitle preferences, power saving preferences, quality preferences, parental control preferences);
- Location data;
- Postcode and house name or number (where optionally provided);
- Usage data (including, but without limitation, the type of content you watch, the journey you took to reach specific content, what content was played, how you use the YouView Service such as whether you watch content live, on demand or save content to watch later);
- Operational and Error data (generated when errors occur during your use of the YouView Service);
- Device ID data;
- Device make and model;
- Digital Rights Management Unique Device ID data;
- Data regarding the internet service to which your device is connected;
- IP address; and
- Any Personal Data which you optionally provide through the YouView Service.
2.2 We (or third party data processors acting on our behalf) and our service and content providers may use the information listed above for the following purposes:
- Maintaining, developing and improving your experience of the YouView Service;
- Improving and developing the content services offered on the YouView Service;
- Personalising the content displayed on your YouView Service based on your usage;
- Providing regionalised content (for example, regional news programs or radio stations);
- Providing regionalised advertising specific to your location;
- Providing relevant updates and upgrades to your device;
- Identifying, monitoring and improving technical issues with the YouView Service;
- Identifying any attempted circumvention of device security and taking action to stop such circumvention;
- Protecting intellectual property rights;
- Providing technical support;
- Aggregated reporting and analysis;
- Providing device data to our affiliate internet service providers for inventory management, content optimisation, connection checking, remote customer support and account management purposes; and
- Providing third parties with aggregated information (which does not contain any Personal Data) for the development and/or promotion of their products or services.
3. COOKIES AND OTHER IDENTIFIERS
3.3 We provide you with the ability to clear cookies and locally stored data stored on your YouView device, which you can do at any time via the Settings menu by conducting a factory reset of your device. If you delete them this may cause some services not to work correctly or as well as they might otherwise work – for example you may need to log into a service again even if you have already logged in before.
3.4 Please see the Cookies Policy on our website at http://www.youview.com/cookies/ for more information on cookies that we collect on our website and what we do with them.
4. HOW LONG WILL WE STORE YOUR DATA
We will use and store information about you as set out in this Privacy & Cookies Policy for so long as you use the YouView Service and for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out here after you cease using the YouView Service.
5. WHO ELSE MAY ACCESS YOUR DATA
5.1 In addition to content and service providers, we may also share Personal Data and information about your YouView device with other third party service providers. We will only share Personal Data to the extent this is necessary to enable those service providers to provide their services to us and under a strict duty of confidence. These third parties will be required to comply strictly with our instructions to keep your information safe in accordance with industry standards and we will also require that they do not use your Personal Data for their own business purposes, unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your Personal Data in this way. We will not otherwise share your Personal Data without first seeking your consent.
5.2 In addition, we and our service and content providers may disclose information collected about you or your YouView device where this is necessary to comply with applicable law or regulation, in response to a lawful request from a law enforcement agency or court of competent jurisdiction, or where we believe disclosure is necessary to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights or those of our content or other service providers.
5.3 In the event that a third party acquires some or all of our assets or business, the information we hold about you and your YouView device will be transferred to that third party so that they can continue to provide the YouView Service to you.
5.4 If you provide us with information (including Personal Data) when you contact our support centre we may share this information about you with third parties if you have agreed to this.
5.5 We may disclose and use anonymised, aggregated reporting and statistics about usage of the YouView Service for the purpose of internal reporting or reporting to our content and service providers or other third parties, and for our marketing and promotion purposes. None of these anonymised, aggregated reports or statistics will enable our users to be personally identified.
5.6 Finally, in certain circumstances, we may transfer some of your non-personal data to our service providers who may be able to combine that non-personal data with other data that they already hold. To the extent that this becomes Personal Data, these service providers will only use such Personal Data for the purposes set out in this Privacy and Cookies Policy.
6. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
From time to time, some of our service providers may provide services to us from territories that are outside the European Economic Area (the “EEA”). Territories outside the EEA may not have the same standards of data protection as those, like the UK, that are in the EEA. However, if we provide any Personal Data about you to any such non-EEA service providers, we take all necessary measures to ensure those service providers protect your information adequately in accordance with this Privacy & Cookies Policy.
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect both the security of information stored on your YouView device and information that we collect from you (including Personal Data) and your YouView device. However, as with any internet-connected device, no internet transmission can ever be guaranteed 100% secure, so you should always take care whenever disclosing personal information about yourself online.
8. YOUR RIGHTS
8.1 You have the right to request a copy of any Personal Data we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. We charge a £10 admin fee for information requests and will require two forms of approved identification to process the request.
8.2 Please send any correspondence relating to information requests, this Privacy & Cookies Policy or our Data Promise to: firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of our Data Protection Officer. Please see our Data Promise (http://www.youview.com/privacy/datapromise/) for details of how you can change your information sharing preferences on your YouView device.
8.3 If you want to access, correct or update any Personal Data held about you by any third parties, including our content and service providers, you would need to contact them directly.
Last Updated: November 2015